Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Cold and Wet and Happier Than I Can Ever Explain

World Series, Game 3
October 25, 2008
Citizens Bank Park
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania


It was the most exciting baseball game I have ever attended in my life.


It was POURING before the game. We got there at 6 p.m., the start of the game was delayed until 10, and the game ended just before 2 a.m.

But at least we were luckier than the fans at yesterday's game, who sat in pouring rain during the game, and then had to go home when it was suspended.


These fireworks went off during the Star-Spangled Banner -- and then went off for every Phillies home run -- three times during the game -- that was fantastic!


We had a great view. High up, but we could see everything -- including the Philly skyline over the back of the park -- and at least twice, our section started a cheer that spread through the whole stadium. It was awesome.

Then again, we also got to see one of our neighbors arrested for peeing over the railing... it seems, onto the head of a police officer (we didn't actually see that happen, because he was two rows behind us, just the arrest). I've never seen a police officer so angry; I thought he might throw the guy over the railing himself. I couldn't believe what an idiot the guy was... wasting a World Series ticket like that and only in the first or second inning.

The upper sections of the park... a different world.


Shane Victorino, the Flyin' Hawaiian

This photo is actually in remarkable focus, considering how far away we were and the fact that this is 16x digital zoom.


The Philly Phanatic: We have the best mascot ever.

At the top of the 7th, we moved down to the standing room only area, to be part of the crowd, and missed all the craziness that led to a tie game, because I decided to make a "quick" stop at the merch stand on the way.

But we didn't miss the ninth inning... in which a game in which the winning team had three home runs was won with a hit that didn't even leave the infield.


After the game... everyone was so excited... perfect strangers hugging each other... we were all exhausted, and frozen, but I didn't want to leave... this is me (on the right) with my friend Amanda (on the left) and her friend Dawn (in the middle)...


I really don't have the words - or the photos - to describe what an amazing night it was - I get tears of excitement in my eyes when I think about it - and I can't ever put into words how grateful I am that I had the chance to go.

Unforgettable.

No comments: