Friday, December 01, 2006

Guess WHAT??!!

I'm back in the studio. WHEW.

HOORAY!

Okay, so there are still a few last details left unfinished. Like outlet covers. But I could. not. wait. another. day. So we moved all the furniture back in, and I am happily ensconced in a room that is visually much warmer and more inviting that I could have dreamed when we began the project, even without outlet covers (and curtain rods). All I really thought we were going to do was raise the foundation and get rid of that nasty paneling. Instead, we created something very special.

Many thanks to the people who helped us along the way, to family and friends who have been so understanding and forgiving while my brain has been dust-clogged, and to all of you have been so encouraging and interested in the goings-on. You all made it much easier and more pleasant to endure.

And of course, a very big thank you to my husband, Al, who, after all, raised a house all by himself.

Finally, a special shout-out to Gus the Cat, who was shut up in various rooms in the house throughout the process, and still manages to purr when I pick him up.

So....

This was my office/studio on Friday, October 13:
















(Should have turned the light on for this one. Sorry.)



With the furniture in, it looks exactly the same on camera, but it actually doesn't in person-- this camera with its overbearing flash does not do this room justice -- but Al and I have been discussing getting new furniture, anyway, perhaps a corner ensemble that will work as both computer desk and painting table to go in this corner.


In the meantime, I tried different arrangements to see if I could keep the cat off the painting table on his way to look out the windows, but to no avail. The furniture just wouldn't fit any other way (the room is only 9 feet by 9 feet). So I gave in.


And here's my new storage cabinet where I wanted to put it originally. It is covered in the sheet music for Beethoven's Ninth Symphony, and I was careful that the very first page in the upper left corner be the beginning of "Ode to Joy," because I think every piece of furniture should bring a little joy:


And where it ended up, across the room (all nine feet of it):


I will post more detailed pictures and different angles, along with before shots of the cabinet, which are worth seeing, in a separate post soon.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! I love the Cabinet! Great Work!

Anonymous said...

Wow I bet you (and the cat) are absolutely delighted to have your space back again.

Anonymous said...

Thank you both... I am so excited to have this room back... I've felt far more calm and peaceful in the past few days than I have in months, in spite of having bronchitis... again... booo hooo.

Anonymous said...

YOUR NEW STUDIO IS A GREAT PLACE. GOOD KARMA.