Sunday, March 16, 2008

Libro = Liebe: Clearly, a Linguistical Connection


"When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes" - Erasmus


Books

I love books. Adore them. Dream about them. Get crushes on them, which I nurture by putting them on my Amazon.com wishlist, or when I get really infatuated, in the "save for later" part of my shopping cart, which I rearrange when I'm having a bad day because it makes me feel better. I own, at best guess, 1,400 books. I love looking at them, holding them, smelling them, thinking about them, buying them (my heartrate doubles in a bookstore and sometimes my palms get sweaty), talking about them (I don't actually talk to them, most of the time, but maybe I'd love that, too), and most of all, reading them.

I also like reading about them.

Here, I wrote about Goodreads, where you can list the books you've read, are reading or want to read; write reviews; and see what other people are reading.

And now, thanks to People Reading, you can actually see what people are reading, at least in San Francisco (one of my five favorite cities) and find out why they're reading it, what they think, and so on. Great site, via CabaCurl.

Speaking of books, I just got a new t-shirt from Threadless. I think it's a bit of an odd design for a t-shirt -- I'd expect to see this design more as an art print on Etsy -- and somewhat out of character for Threadless, I think -- but I'm not complaining, because I adore my new shirt (and it's these magnificent once-in-a-bunch treasures that keep me coming back to the site).

Today, I'll be working with a different kind of book, namely our checkbook, in preparation for our taxes, but I'll bribe myself with some good reading time, later, maybe with a cup of cocoa. I have a large stack of books waiting for me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What i find amazing is the attitude of some non-readers to readers, which is that reading makes people so-o boring!!!! Hmmmm...I don't think so!

My heart rate goes up when i start to talk books with someone else, and i love asking my friends what they are reading right now, so we can get into a great discussion about books!

Sigh...yep, my pulse is racing!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.