Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Gocco Mania

I was sort of late learning about Print Gocco... in fact, the first time I ever heard about it included a link to the Save Gocco site, which I visited solely to find out what "gocco" was and why it was worth saving. And then I saw why people are sad. The whole idea of easily screen printing cards and other paper products in the comfort of my own home is delightful to me. Oh, the possibilities! So I, like so many others, it would seem, started searching online to see if I could get my hands on my own Gocco.

I've had no luck.

Well, that's not entirely true. I did see some for sale on eBay, and one had a "buy it now" price of $90, I think. I didn't buy it. I thought, WOW, that's a lot of art supplies right there, and I didn't click on the little button.

Part of me regrets that choice. The sales prices have been rising dramatically. The last auction I found just ended at more than $200. And no one, no one, is offering a "buy it now" option anymore.

But I think in the long run, I made the right choice. I read a letter that implies that Riso will have Gocco supplies available in the United States for three years, but based on what I've seen in my search, that three years will shrink dramatically as people start to panic and hoard supplies. So for a few hundred dollars in supplies (because, I admit, I'm a hoarder, too, and I'd want to stock up), and the ever-rising price of a Print Gocco machine, I, too could have a few years of fun.

And then it would be over.

So unless I happen to stumble across a Print Gocco at a garage sale somewhere, or just sitting, lonely, on a curb, if I am going to do any printing (which I most definitely plan to do) I will have to focus my energies on other techniques. I can always use potatoes.

No comments: