Friday, September 01, 2006

Touchy Feely

This title makes me think of a story I read, but I really don't mean this kind of touchy feely:

In February, a 12-year-old boy visiting the Detroit Institute of Arts with his sixth-grade class plucked a wad of gum from his mouth and deposited it on a 1963 canvas by Helen Frankenthaler, "The Bay," a painting estimated to be worth $1.5 million or more. The work had to be removed for restoration. The child "picked the worst piece of art he could have picked" -- an unprimed painting, says the museum's director, Graham W.J. Beal.

Although if one of my paintings were ever important enough that a kid sticking a wad of gum on it made national news, I would be perversely proud.

I've been playing around with texture lately, and sometimes I just want to run my fingers all over the paintings. This one is the best finished example:

Day, acrylics, 9" x 12"

A closeup of the clouds:

No comments: