Thursday, December 04, 2008

My Own Personal Sing-Along

I made one of those obvious discoveries today, the ones that come with technological advances, that everyone else always seems to know from the get-go...

If I ever have trouble thinking of my favorite songs - and I do, because I like a lot of music, and I've had senior moments since I was a senior in high school, or maybe since I was a senior in pre-school - I can just click on my "Top 25 Most Played" list in iTunes.

And there's no hiding from the fact that these are, well, the songs I listen to the most, and the songs I know by heart.

The list seems pretty eclectic at first glance, and it makes me really happy (and not a little bit smug, to be totally honest) that it spans so many artists and genres, but actually, these songs fit together really well. The playlist flows quite nicely.

As far as favorites go, though, I would replace "Rich Woman" with "Fortune Teller," and "Spooky" by the Classics IV has been getting a lot of ear time lately, so you can consider it the honorary 26th member. Also, I'd add "Going to California" by Led Zeppelin, and "Wish You Were Here" by Pink Floyd, and about 25 more songs I don't listen to that often that are still my favorites. But this pretty much sums it up, for the time being:

  • LDN by Lily Allen
  • Iko Iko by Cyndi Lauper
  • Millionär by Die Prinzen
  • Tiny Dancer by Elton John
  • Crazy by Gnarls Barkley
  • Superstition by Stevie Wonder
  • Take Me to the River by Al Green
  • Didn't Leave Nobody But the Baby by Alison Krauss, Emmylou Harris and Gillian Welch
  • Desperation Song by Carbon Leaf
  • Long Black Veil by The Band
  • Back to Black by Amy Winehouse
  • Ballad of Cable Hogue by Calexico
  • How Many Times by Fairport Convention
  • La Mariquita by Correo Aereo
  • Bloodletting (The Vampire Song) by Concrete Blonde
  • Sloop John B by the Beach Boys
  • Tall Ships by Show of Hands
  • A Cloak of Elvenkind by Marcy Playground
  • Bird from the Mountain by Fairport Convention and Ric Sander
  • Rich Woman by Alison Krauss and Robert Plant
  • New Shoes by Paulo Nutini
  • Tóg É Go Bog É by Kíla
  • King of Elfland's Daughter by Phoenyx
  • The Perfect Crime by the Decemberists
  • Fidelity by Regina Spektor

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I see a few of my own favorites on here, as well as others I haven't heard - which makes me all the more curious about the ones new to me...